Throughout the late 19th and early 20th Century, areas such as Dennistoun were being built up to a considerable level. The land set aside for Alexandra park was purchased from a certain Walter Stewart of Haghill and was extended when more land was purchased from the Dennistoun family, who gave their name to the area. The keen eyed observer can spot dates carved on many tenements in the area which testify to an era of great expansion in Glasgow.
By the turn of the century, the eastern edge of Dennistoun ended at Aberfoyle Street. the Haghill scheme was not laid out until the thirties and High Carntyne was soon to follow. Such was the growth of Glasgow in the early decades of the 20th Century, the Glasgow tram guide of 1904 could state with confidence that….
Another decade will probably see the absorption into Glasgow of those two quaint villages known as Ruchazie and Provanmill.
By 1910 plans were not afoot to build sandstone tenements on the Cumbernauld Road just north of the Alexandra Park. These were completed b 1915 and they still stand today.
The greatest period of house building in the Riddrie area was the early 1920’s, when most of the streets we know today were laid out. The Post Office map of 1922 shows the proposed layout of the new housing and although the streets were not yet named, Riddrie folk will soon spot the familiar curve of Tay Cresent and Gala Street. The area was to be called “Kennyhill and Riddrie housing scheme” but the Corporation decided that this name was too long and settled for Riddrie. Kennyhill House was a rather grand manor house in previous times and stood where Kennyhill School stands today. Indeed, the original Manor house served as the school for some years before being demolished in the seventies.
The planned new Riddrie scheme was to be built predominantly on the North of the Cumbernauld Road and the small Hamlet of High Carntyne was to be left surrounded by farm land for some years to come. By 1923 building work was well under way and the Riddrie that we know today was taking shape. The population of the area was increasing sharply and shops and schools would soon follow the new housing.